Saturday, September 11, 2010

New York State of Mind.

I probably shouldn't be eating at 1:33 in the morning, but I figure I needed proper sustenance while typing up my first week round up of NYC. That, and for some reason, this red velvet cake from Cake Man Raven tastes even better refrigerated than when I first got it. That being said, my first few days in New Yorrrrrrrrrk (concrete jungle where dreams are made of, there's nothing you can't do..) have been awesome. I love it already. How can you not love this:


I've been walking a lot, anywhere from 2-4 miles per day. This is promising. But I find that the consumption of all the great food is putting a dent in Operation Lose Google 15. I have every intention of jogging in Central Park. But what would be even cooler would be roller blading.. or ice skating, come winter. Oh, the possibilities!


Speaking of Central Park, I spent part of my afternoon there, sandwiched between apartment hunting and meeting up with old friends. I found myself wishing I had my sketchbook and watercolors. But I'll have to save that for another time. Walking along the outer edge, I looked up to admire the amazing buildings lining the park. This one even had gargoyles. Forget Park Ave, I want to live on Central Park West!


You know it's a proper park when it has wonderful lampposts like this one. I'd like to petition for every park to have proper lampposts.


I think I'll end with a list of firsts: 

First meal: Plain bagel w/ cream cheese from La Bagel Delight
First meal at Google NYC: Meatballs, courtesy of guest chefs from The Meatball Shop
First really great sandwich: The Other Thing at This Little Piggy Had Roast Beef
First food truck: Wafels & Dinges
First dessert: Red velvet cake from Cake Man Raven
First act as tourist: Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge
First book purchased: When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro
First shop visited: Kate's Paperie, the greatest paper store there ever was.
First stop for Fashion's Night Out: Bloomingdale's
First celeb sighting: Cynthia Nixon, outside Michael Kors for FNO. If I was delusional & that wasn't really her, then Simon Doonan at Barney's.
First Gossip Girl moment (haha): Where it all began - standing inside Grand Central Terminal, where S first returned from boarding school. 
First time hearing Empire State of Mind in NY: At the rooftop bar at The Strand Hotel. It was glorious.

It's getting late, and I'll leave you with another first - my first view of Manhattan:

1 comment:

rona said...

i miss you. that is all.